10.22.2012

DIY :: Creative Crackle


It's true that "one man's junk is another man's treasure". Garage sales, second-hand stores & flea markets always hold potential-filled items that are just waiting to add a unique touch to your home. All the pieces need is a little love. 

Case in point: a few years back my boyfriend found the below cabinet at Salvation Army and knew it was a keeper as the next addition to my room. We tackled the beast together; after removing some shelves + revamping the doors, it was time to paint. 

I wanted the piece to be eye-catching & filled with personality. After researching different painting techniques, I decided that the creative crackle was the perfect fit. 


If you are thinking of using this technique, here's a bit of advice: don't be afraid to be bold! The tuscan orange, burnt red & metallic gold were all daring colors to use but I'm happy with how it turned out. With the help of the creative crackle, the cabinet was transformed into an eclectic piece that incorporates many colors without being too overwhelming. I love its uniqueness.



Turquoise knobs were the finishing touch. I found these beauties at Anthropologie. They "pop" against the cabinet & add a cool spin to the shades already present. 


Creative Crackle painting instructions after the jump!


CREATIVE CRACKLE :: 
You will need: At least two colors of paint, plastic grocery bags, paint brushes
  • Paint the base color. In the case of my cabinet, we used orange. This will be the color that will show up least. For a large piece of furniture, I recommend using the lighter color as the base.
  • After the base dries, paint the top color (Burnt red in my cabinet's case). Do this in small sections. As soon as you paint the top color, take the grocery bag, bunch it up a little, and lay it over top of the wet paint. Let sit for a few seconds, lift. Some of the paint will come off with the bag in an uneven way. This creates the "crackle". 
  • If you choose, paint on a third color to create more color. In the case of my cabinet, we used gold sparingly. 

18 comments:

  1. wow, that really looks amazing! i love it!
    xoamy
    www.cupcakesncouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out great! I really love those knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a great project!! i love those knobs you got from anthropologie definitely adds a pop of color

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I should do this to one of my ugly old desks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great DIY and love those knobs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh love! And those knobs are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way crackle paint looks! I've done it to a few pieces of furniture and it always comes out looking vintage-y and pretty...exactly what I like!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a nice facelift! nicely done :) i love giving old "junk" new life! XO Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really amazing!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe that you painted that!! This looks amazing!! Really awesome!

    oliviamoone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so so impressed!! This looks like something you would pay big bucks for! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cool-- the knobs are perfect!
    xx mili

    callmemaeby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great idea! I once painted a jewelry box black and that took me 3 days. I can only imagine how much patience and talent you have. Thanks for sharing! XO Inna

    BAKING IN COUTURE
    www.bakingincouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's amazing! Love the handles :D
    xoxo

    novelstyle.blogspot.com

    OH! Don' forget to check my Anna Dello Russo at H&M GIVEAWAY :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. skillllls! it turns out amazing:D

    skinnyfoxx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to say thank you so much for visiting my blog:)! I'm following you now on GFC:))!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this DIY. Crackle paint is so impressive and beautiful. The knobs look so stunning.


    best clip in hair extensions

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never have such luck with fantastic finds - I tend to walk past gems and end up taking home junk! This cabinet is beautiful and I adore the pretty handles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by fabulous k