11.22.2012

Let's Talk About: Giving Thanks

I’m writing this post at my apartment desk while looking at a peculiarly misted Lincoln Park. The sun sits behind a cloud that expands as wide as the horizon will allow. Its haze is erie, even ghostly, and it absorbs the sounds of the streets below.

I sometimes have to remind myself to stop & enjoy the skyline from my window. It's so easy to take a view like this for granted...after all, I see it almost every day.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on that which brings your life joy. Chicago is one of those things for me. By the time this post is published I'll be back in Michigan, far away from the city, which brings me an equal amount of happiness.

I'm thankful for more than a blog post could ever allow me to express. 
But I'll try my best to summarize the tip of the iceberg.

Happy Thanksgiving.
{Click the jump below for my list of thanks}


I'm thankful that my mom & dad are my best friends. They are pillars of wisdom, work ethic & kindness who have allowed me to grow up surrounded by support, love & comfort. I'm thankful for my mom's zest for life & my dad's goofiness. 


I'm thankful for my step mom & step dad. For the happiness & life partnership that they bring to my parents and for the kindness and patience they've shown to my siblings & I. 

I'm thankful for my big family with so many people to love. For my *wittle baby* step brothers of whom I've long since dropped the "step" from their title. I'm thankful for my cousins, aunts, uncles & grand parents.


I'm thankful for my brother, who is the definition of bravery and persistence as he is serving in the Navy. I'm thankful for technology & the ability to talk to my brother (stationed in Japan) & my step-sister (living in Mongolia while serving in the Peace Corp) as if they are in the same room. 

I'm thankful for the United States, freedom and the ability to pursue dreams. For education & health. For culture, the ability to learn from one another & open minded people.


I'm thankful for my boyfriend, who is my partner in crime & favorite person on earth. For over 6 years of a beautiful relationship in which love has surrounded us. I'm thankful that we are continually growing, for our loyalty to one another, for how much fun we have & for our ability to attract adventure. I'm thankful that he is {almost} as weird as I am & that we appreciate each others quarks. 

I'm thankful for his family, who has become no different than my own.


I'm thankful for my friends, both new and old. 

I'm thankful for my best girlfriends who have been there through thick & thin and for the evolution of our friendships as we get older. For the time that we've spent, history we share, laughter that is inevitable when together & ability to still sing Backstreet Boys at the top of our lungs.



I'm thankful for my job. For the amazing people that I work with & the creativity that surrounds me every day.



I'm thankful for the little things that I take for granted. Things like sunshine, water, coffee, internet, books, rain, wine, good restaurants, airplanes, photography & fresh air. I'm thankful for music. For mistakes, forgiveness & learning. I'm thankful for the ability to run & do yoga. For running water, shelter & food.

I'm thankful for the things in life that will never change, like happiness being a state of mind & the importance of loving & being loved.

 - xoxo -

| via, via, via, via, via, via, via |

15 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Emily! Enjoy your time in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post- Happy Thanksgiving!

    Gina Michele
    Rock Mosaic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago is the exact same thing to me!
    Happy Thanksgiving! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! I take so many things for granted - I love being able to center myself & spend time with family on thanksgiving. I hope your day was splendid! Oh, and yes! Yellow is gorgeous! I just painted my kitchen tables yellow yesterday. I'll post pictures of them when they're done so make sure to check back!

    Margeaux
    margeauxknight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! You have such a wonderful blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. I would love it if we could follow each other.

    Maggie
    lovestylehappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving!


    XX,
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful post! Happy Thanksgiving :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgivin to you and your family!

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  10. woww!! this is the view from your desk?? what a lucky girl :D

    http://thegoldenpaillettes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Thanksgiving was great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so wonderfully said, Emily!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by fabulous k