2.27.2013

DIY :: You Are My Adventure

My apartment is filled with crafts that Doug & I have tackled together. We've always gravitated toward dates centered around projects or unique ventures, as demonstrated by these stools and this cabinet. We even first said "I love you" after a pottery class in which we both spent the whole time drawing hearts on our respective cups, wondering how to vocalize the words. {I hope none of his friends are reading this, and if you are, pat him on the back for being comfortable enough with his manhood to go to pottery with me.}

As such, many of my crafty ventures are done with the help of my handy man. But this Valentine's Day, I wanted to do something special that he wouldn't expect. Something outside the box and filled with love to demonstrate that, through all the years, he has been and always will be an amazing adventure of mine.

After a trip to Chicago's fabric warehouse, I found a french-colonial pattern that would be perfect for his apartment. "Ah-hah," I thought, "A blanket it shall be." An adventurous one at that - not only because the pattern reminded me of riding horse-back through colonial fields but also because I'd never made a blanket before. And so I set out on my voyage.

Before showing you the step-by-step, I want to say a huge thank you to my friend & seamstress extraordinaire Laura for helping me with this project!
 DIY instructions following the jump.





Step 1: Cut the top & bottom fabric to your desired length. I did approx. 7 ft x 3 ft. Line up the filling and cut it to fit in between your fabrics.

Step 2: Set aside the filling for later. Turn your fabrics inside out and align them. Put needles along the perimeter to set fabrics in place as you sew.

Step 3: Sew along the whole perimeter, rounding the corners if you choose. Once you get to the end, leave approx. 12 inches open to put the filling into the blanket.

Step 4: Stuff the filling into the blanket, smoothing as you go. Make sure the filling is equal throughout.
Step 5: Turn under the open edges to prepare for sewing.

Step 6: Secure the still-open edges at the end with pins. Hug the edge with the sewing machine to close the blanket.
Step 7: Measure what you want your middle hem to be. I left approx. 7 inches around the perimeter. Sew in the middle of the blanket, securing the filling where it lies.



36 comments:

  1. that is a lovely pattern!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so well, Em! And look at Doug's sweet little comment. Awh! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun & I love the mix of patterns. I need to go to that Chicago fabric warehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at you go! I have exactly 0 sewing skills, but if I had any at all I would be interested in making a blanket. This turned out so well!
    Jenn
    With Luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. A man could be creative , I never knew! It's an awesome thing. Love the post :D
    Aree With Umbrella

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little sentiment. And I almost died at Doug's comment up there ^^. This came out great!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! And very brave of you to tackle since you had never made a blanket before. But those are always the most memorable projects, right! I'm sure he LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great DIY project! I don't know how to sew but I will give it a try.

    -Vogue&Heels
    vogueandheels.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So crafty! Very motivating :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at how crafty you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work - you did such a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute is this?! I love it and I love that you guys do stuff like this together!
    xo Dina
    Sweetest Somethings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...love it. I am going to take a sewing class soon and am so excited to make things like this. I definitely bookmarking this project! :)

    Jill
    Classy with a Kick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww so cute! Love that he even commented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so precious. Making a blanket was a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely! I'm currently in the process of hand sewing a patchwork quilt. It is taking FOREVER but I know I'll be seriously proud of it when it's done. I love that that is something you'll both have forever now! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. love love this!!! thanks for sharing how to make! now i need to DIY blanket!!

    xo,Taylor
    iLikeMyClothesTaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out so well! I've never done a blanket before. In fact, I haven't made anything in a long time.

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this turned out beautifully! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!!!!!! Amazing job!!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it , I need to do something like this!! <3
    Love
    Annabelle
    TheCurleyGirl
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow what a beautiful blanket and a beautiful gesture of love! The pattern is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is adorable and I love the toile!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  24. so impressed!! wao! what a great project! A couple that DIYs together stays together :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely pattern! You guys did a wonderful job!

    If you get a sec, please check out my latest post 'Simply Chic in Calvin Klein' Thank you :)

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so beautiful, how sweet for you both! LOVE the fabric :)
    xx, Emily
    http://soanthro.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's soooooooooooooo beautiful!!! Looks gorgeous and so so so cosy! Definitely made with love! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is lovely. I can't believe you made this. It would make a wonderful gift!

    Ali of

    www.dressiengken.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW!!! This is so incredibly sweet!!! I am so impressed :) (but not surprised!) It turned out absolutely beautiful! And I absolutely love the story that goes with it! XO Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a sweet gift!!

    xox
    Bailey
    http://akabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the meaning behind the blanket! Truly amazing!

    Lauren
    www.lifelovelauren.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE this! Great tutorial! I was thinking about getting a throw for the living room... Now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by fabulous k