9.23.2014

Lemon Drops.

Hi, my name is Emily and I have a caffeine addiction. 
First step is admitting it, guys, and so here we are. 
It all hit me the morning that, when 11:30 am came around, I had already drank multiple cups of coffee and a latte with 3 shots of espresso included. I was at the coffee machine at work, filling up yet another coffee cup, when I noticed my hand shaking. Like a ton of bricks smacking me across the face, I stood there for a few seconds and stared at the jitters getting worse, suddenly realizing the extreme level of my caffeine addiction. 

For me, drinking coffee is more about the ritual than anything else. It's how I ease into work; there's just something about holding a warm cup that helps me mosey into emails, to-do lists and tasks. It doesn't help that I'm obsessed with Pumpkin Spice Lattes, and since that became the staple flavor of fall for me, everything's been a fast, steep slope downhill from there.

After my harsh awakening, I decided to stop cold turkey. No coffee, no espresso, no lattes. Not even tea. I was dedicated to ridding my body of the years worth of caffeine overload that I had ingested. You know what happened? Everything was great! 

Just kidding.

Worst. Headache. Ever. I'm not talking the, "Take some Motrin and you'll be fine" type. I'm talking about a can't concentrate, brain pounding nightmare that wouldn't ease up for a moment. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day and the worst part about it all was realizing just how much I'd let caffeine take over. 

I swear my story has a point, which I'll get to right now. 

As a healthy alternative to my morning ritual, I started to drink hot water with lemons. I'd heard it was a great way to still fulfill that "Warm cup in my hand" ritual while easing into the day, without the caffeine that took me into the depths of jitter land. It also helps that it has wonderful health benefits, including flushing out toxins, aiding in digestion, and being a great source of nutrients. It even helps to improve your skin!

After a few days, my caffeine withdrawals stopped, and my morning with lemons started to become a welcomed treat instead that made me feel awake, refreshed and ready to tackle the day. In other words, it was all the benefits of my beloved coffee, without all the caffeine. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love me a warm cup of coffee. Weeks after my cold-turkey rendezvous, I started to introduce a cup here and here on mornings where a little added kick was wanted needed. And, let's be honest, a blogger's gotta take Instagram pictures! I kid, I kid. (No, I don't.) But I'm happy to report that my newfound morning routine is still going strong, and lemons have officially been declared my morning go-to of choice. 

Tell me, have you tried stopping coffee cold turkey? Have you ventured into the holistic way of waking up with lemons and hot water? 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you are hilarious. i dont like coffee or tea but i drink a crystal light with caffeine every day - i cut it down to only 1/2 a packet every day and eventually i want to stop drinking it all together. xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a Graphic Image datebook giveaway on cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I don't drink coffee! But that doesn't mean I don't like the occasional Dr. Pepper, but even then, I like it with dinner. Cheers for cutting back and feeling better!!

    26 and Not Counting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my daily cup of coffee. I try to limit it to just one, but I have noticed that I get headaches when I don't have my daily dose. I hate that I am addicted, but I figure one cup is not bad. I may have to try this. I love lemon and honey when I am sick. Why not make it a daily thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm actually not a coffee drinker but i love a cup of tea in the mornings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying to cut back on my coffee intake as well but I just can't seem to function the same without it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by fabulous k